The 17th of July 1847, turned a new page to Sri Lankan educational field. This was established as a new school in Dematagoda namely “St.Matthew’s College” with the intention of teaching English to the local students. The school was named after a saint, named “Matthews”. The Bishop of Colombo late Reverend H.Chapman was appointed as the first principal and the school targeted to Cambridge matriculation examinations.
The school not only disseminate knowledge to the students of the area but also it established itself as a platform for national reconciliation by bringing together all Sinhalese, Tamils, Muslims and Burghers. Moreover, history shows that there was a rapid development of the school during the period of the British Principals.
The school, which was a mixed school of boys and girls, was taken over by then in 1961 and was converted into a Sinhala medium school. Many scholars, sportsmen and artists have contributed to the society from this prestigious institution.
It was one of the best schools in the country at that time. It has produced many national colour holders and international players in cricket, boxing, football and athletics.